Download, read, and nominate your favorite titles now for the February 2015* LibraryReads list! *Nominations are due December 20! Click here for the full list of 2015 deadlines. BLUE STARS by Emily Gray Tedrowe “Tedlowe’s 2010 novel, Commuters, was named a Best New Paperback by Entertainment Weekly, so watch this hardcover breakout closely. The topic […]
Download, read, and nominate your favorite titles now for the February 2015* LibraryReads list! *Nominations are due December 20! Click here for the full list of 2015 deadlines. THE NIGHTINGALE by Kristin Hannah From the #1 New York Times bestselling author comes an epic novel of love and war about two sisters and the secret […]
Happy New Year! We hope your holidays were wonderful. We're rested, rejuvenated and ready for all that 2014 will bring!
Want to know what our New Year's Resolution is? It's for all the librarians we know to participate in LibraryReads!
Do you love to read? Do people often ask you what book they should read next? Are you a public librarian? If you answered yes to all of these, then my friend, you are ready for LibraryReads.
What is this magical LibraryReads thing we speak of? It's a monthly list of the Top Ten newly released must-read books, voted on by librarians like you! By harnessing the value of "library staff picks" into a single nation-wide discovery tool, you can help connect books to as many readers as possible.
If you're ready to start, nominations are now being accepted for books publishing in March 2013 (due February 1). Here are some titles we recommend:
SHOTGUN LOVESONGS by Nickolas Butler
TEMPTING FATE by Jane Green
PRECIOUS THING by Colette McBeth
THE HAVEN by Carol Lynch Williams
THE CAIRO AFFAIR by Olen Steinhauer
DECODED by Mai Jia
NOTORIOUS by Allison Brennan
THE REVENANT OF THRAXTON HALL by Vaughn Entwistle
THE MIDNIGHT WITCH by Paula Brackston
THE OTHER HALF by Sarah Rayner
ALWAYS UNIQUE by Nikki Turner
QUEEN ELIZABETH'S DAUGHTER by Anne Clinard Barnhill
CODE ZERO by Jonathan Maberry
I REMEMBER YOU by Yrsa Sigurdardottir
NOTES FROM THE INTERNET APOCALPYSE by Wayne Gladstone
PROVIDENCE RAG by Bruce DeSilva
To vote, you must be an Edelweiss user and registered as a public librarian. If so, then you’re all set! To recommend a title, find the book page while logged into Edelweiss and click on “Your Review.” You will see the check the “Submit to LibraryReads” box on the bottom right of that box; click on it when saving your review to nominate that title.
If you are already an Edelweiss user, and logged in, but don’t see the option to “Submit to LibraryReads” when you click on “Your Review,” you may be in an Edelweiss organization that is not classified as a public library. In this case, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
If you are not an Edelweiss user, please register for Edelweiss using the Organization Type “Library – Public” to join the LibraryReads community.
Read in any format you like–paper or digital–but please submit all your reviews electronically, via Edelweiss.
Speaking of Edelweiss, did you know you can get whitelisted* for access to Macmillan e-galleys? It's true! Here's how to get pre-approved:
1. Register for Edelweiss with your library-issued e-mail address.
2. Send Anne an email that includes the e-mail address you registered with, your full name, and your current library (subject: Edelweiss).
3. Wait for Anne to send you a confirmation message, then download to your heart's delight and nominate titles you love for LibraryReads
*Whitelisting is only available to librarians currently employed in the U.S.
For more on Edelweiss, including reading recommendations, click here. Want to know even more about LibraryReads? Check out our FAQ for nomination deadlines, guidelines for writing reviews, details on how each list gets decided, and FREE marketing materials for your library. Happy reading and happy nominating!
Happy Monday, librarians!
It's a brand new year and if you're anything like me you've probably resolved to keep on top of your advanced reading. In an effort to help make that even easier I'm going to talk a little about our favorite new resource, Edelweiss.
You might already know that our digital catalogs are hosted on Edelweiss now, but you might not know that there are also e-galleys hosted there just waiting to be downloaded. If you're a current librarian in the United States and interested in being pre-approved* to download all of our e-galleys, please follow these steps:
1. Register for Edelweiss with your library-issued e-mail address.
2. Send Anne a note that includes the e-mail address you registered with, your full name, and your current library (subject: Edelweiss).
*Whitelisting is only available to adult and teen librarians currently employed in the U.S.
So easy! Then I'll forward your request and let you know when you're all hooked up.
For those of you already whitelisted we have a few recommendations for you listed below. And for those of you on the fence maybe one of these upcoming titles will entice you into signing up!
Get started with our recommendations (updated May 14, 2014):
- THE CITY UNDER THE SKIN by Geoff Nicholson
- THAT SUMMER by Lauren Willig
- SAVE THE DATE by Mary Kay Andrews
- CARSICK by John Waters
- CALIFORNIA BONES by Greg Van Eekhout
- BRUTAL YOUTH by Anthony Breznican
- THE BAKLAVA CLUB by Jason Goodwin
- COWBOYS AND INDIES: The Epic History of the Record Industry by Gareth Murphy
- HOW TO TELL TOLEDO FROM THE NIGHT SKY by Lydia Netzer
- HIGH AS THE HORSES' BRIDLES by Scott Cheshire
- EMERALDS INCLUDED by Betsy Woodman
- THE DEAD WILL TELL by Linda Castillo
- LANDLINE by Rainbow Rowell
- THE BONE ORCHARD by Paul Doiron
- THE SPARK AND THE DRIVE by Wayne Harrison
- LAST TO KNOW by Elizabeth Adler
- THE FORTUNE HUNTER by Daisy Goodwin
- A COLDER WAR by Charles Cumming
- THE BIRTH OF KOREAN COOL by Euny Hong
- SMALL BLESSINGS by Martha Woodroof
- I'LL BE RIGHT BACK AFTER THIS by Pat O'Brien
- DON'T LOOK BACK by Gregg Hurwitz
- LOCK IN by John Scalzi
- SUMMER OF THE DEAD by Julia Keller
- LILA by Marilynne Robinson
- RECKONING by Kerry Wilkinson
- PUSH GIRL by Chelsie Hill & Jessica Love
- COMPLICIT by Stephanie Kuehn
- SPIRITS OF ASH AND FOAM by Greg Weisman
- DIRTY WINGS by Sarah McCarry
- DEADLY LITTLE SINS by Kara Taylor
- HOW TO FALL by Jane Casey
If your account is already whitelisted for our titles, hit this link to access a list of all of our currently available e-galley downloads (To find all Macmillan e-galleys, simply choose “Macmillan” under the “Refine by Publisher” tab on the left and hit the “Update” button. If you’re having problems, make sure you are logged in and that you’ve selected “View titles I May Download or Request” in the upper left corner. Otherwise, the page will say “No titles met this criteria.”).