An island full of secrets, the return of Orphan X, and a case of mistaken identities–all in this Thriller Thursday! THE WIFE AND THE WIDOW by Christian White 2 starred reviews! “White exceeds readers’ expectations after his supersuccessful debut, with strong, complex protagonists in Abby and Kate and notable secondary characters who are well developed. […]
Telling Tales by Ann Cleeves “Cleeves’ taut, atmospheric thriller will keep readers guessing until the last page…Chilling.” —Publishers Weekly, starred review “Cleeves offers up evocative settings and flawed characters with depth, making her mysteries wonderfully addictive. Her latest is no exception.”–Library Journal, starred review “A nice mixture, in the British tradition, of social comedy and […]
Here are all the spine-tingling Macmillan mysteries that Talia “the terror” Sherer presented at Booklist‘s “Spring the Trap: Mysteries That Won’t Let Go” collection development webinar today (see the action on Twitter via hashtag #Mysteries17): COME SUNDOWN by Nora Roberts EXPOSED by Lisa Scottoline PARADISE VALLEY by C.J. Box THE BREAKDOWN by B.A. Paris DOWN […]
Happy Monday, everyone!
Let's start by congratulating Chevy Stevens whose chilling debut, STILL MISSING, won the 2011 Thriller Award for Best First Novel. Well done, Chevy! You can see all the 2011 Thriller Award-winners here.
Congrats are also in order for a second exceptional debut, THE POACHER'S SON by Paul Doiron, which just won the 2010 Strand Critics Award for Best First Novel!
In response to a flood of requests, we posted the full text of the fabulous BEA panel, "The Great Readalike. If You Like This…You’ll LOVE That!" The recommendations are spot on; I've already found two new favorites.
Barbara Hoffert shared some of her personal panel highlights from ALA 2011 in Authors at ALA: My Final Word. Her list includes “Tales from the Heart: Literary Memoirs” with Margaux Fragoso (TIGER, TIGER), “Celebrating Southern Writers" with John Hart (IRON HOUSE), and “Mystery and Horror @ Your Library” with Bill Loehfelm (THE DEVIL SHE KNOWS) and Erica Spindler (WATCH ME DIE). Barbara also included her Best Suggestion for a Book Club Read: THE TRANSFORMATION OF BARTHOLOMEW FORTUNO by Ellen Bryson and says,
"Both touching and absorbing, this First Author title reminds us that we’re none of us geeks—we share our humanity, whatever our 'curiosities.'"
Speaking of TIGER, TIGER, IRON HOUSE, and THE TRANSFORMATION OF BARTHOLOMEW FORTUNO, our Great ALA Signed Books Sweepstakes is only open until Friday, so get your entry in now!
And if you're in the mood to enter another rad contest, FSG is giving away 50 copies of THE HYPNOTIST here: http://us.macmillan.com/FSGadult/promo/hypnotistjuly.
June 23th–28th, 2011, Booth #1126
Friday, June 24th
- 5:30pm Julie Cross will sign copies of TEMPEST in our booth #1126.
Saturday, June 25th*
- 10:00am John Hart will sign copies of IRON HOUSE in the Baker & Taylor booth #2049.
- 11:00am Rhys Bowen and Jane Cleland will sign copies of BLESS THE BRIDE and DEADLY THREADS in our booth #1126.
- 12:30pm Mary Kay Andrews will sign copies of SUMMER RENTAL in our booth #1126.
- 1:30pm Mary Kay Andrews will speak on the LIVE! @ your library Reading Stage at the back of the 1400 aisle.
- 1:30pm "Celebrating Southern Writers" with John Hart (IRON HOUSE) at MCC #335-336.
- 4:00pm "Tales from the Heart: Literary Memoirs" with Margaux Fragoso (TIGER, TIGER) at MCC #283.
*Saturday is also Mystery Day on the Pop Top Stage featuring Minotaur authors Ro Harris, Jane Cleland, Nancy Martin, Michael Wiley, Steve Hamilton, Barbara Fister, Rhys Bowen and Cathy Pickens!
- 10:00am "Traditional Mysteries: Who are the new Jane Marples?" with authors Rhys Bowen, Nancy Martin, Rosemary Harris, and moderator Jane Cleland.
- 11:00am "Tough Guys" with authors Steve Hamilton and Michael Wiley.
- 12:00pm An interview with Cathy Pickens.
- 1:00pm BrownBag Lunchtime Interview with Rosemary Harris.
- 2:00pm "Attention to Detail: how research adds to the mystery" with authors Rhys Bowen, Jane Cleland, and moderator Michael Wiley.
- 3:00pm "Laugh or I’ll Kill You" with authors Rosemary Harris, Nancy Martin, and Cathy Pickens.
- 4:00pm "Mystery Chicks and Private Dicks" with author Barbara Fister.
Sunday, June 26th
- 9:00am Coffee Klatch featuring Steve Hamilton (THE LOCK ARTIST) and Alden Bell (THE REAPERS ARE THE ANGELS) at J.W. Marriott (614 Canal Street) and lle de France Ball Room sponsored by YALSA.
- 9:00am Rosemary Harris will sign SLUGFEST in our booth #1126.
- 10:30am The Alex Award winners panel and book signing with featured speakers Steve Hamilton (THE LOCK ARTIST) and Alden Bell (THE REAPERS ARE THE ANGELS) at MCC #383-385.
- 10:30am ALTAFF’s “Mysteries @ your Library” with featured speakers Erica Spindler (WATCH ME DIE) and Bill Loehfelm (THE DEVIL SHE KNOWS) at MCC #268.
- 12:30pm From the Inside(rs) Out: AAP/ Book Buzz Editor’s Panel with Nancy Pearl and John Sherer.
- 1:30pm ALTAFF’s “First Author, First Book” panel with featured speaker Ellen Bryson (THE TRANSFORMATION OF BARTHOLOMEW FORTUNO) at MCC #269.
Monday, June 27th
- 9:00am Justin Spring and Wendy Moffat will sign copies of SECRET HISTORIAN and A GREAT UNRECORDED HISTORY in our booth #1126.
- 2:00pm ALTAFF’s Gala Author Tea with Nevada Barr (BURN) at MCC #293-296.
We're ecstatic to see that the Romance Writers of America have selected some really fantastic nominees for their 2011 RITA® Awards! A huge congrats to all of the amazing authors!
Below is a list of our super sultry nominees:
Finalist for Best First Book and(!) Finalist for Regency Historical Romance:
WHEN HARRY MET MOLLY by Kieran Kramer